http://www.makepovertyhistory.org Twisted Grooves: there is hope

Thursday, December 29, 2005

there is hope

Around 12 years ago, my environmental consciousness was awakened. It was one of those dark times when environmental degradation was rapidly happening all over the world especially in third world countries like the Philippines. But as the disaster was unfolding before our very eyes, the environmental movement was slowly rising and gaining ground in all fronts. My involvement with these groups was quite short-lived as I chose to enter the corporate world while my friends went full time serving in Non Government Organizations (NGOs). However, I kept in touch with them and did what I could in the polluted environment I chose to be in. In my own way, I remained an environmental activist.

As I visited my mom's hometown the past weekend, I witnessed a few notable changes. In our own barangay, a mangrove reforestation project was set-up. And in the famous Hundred Islands, a more organized eco-tourism campaign was being implemented. Quietly, I took pictures and enjoyed what I was seeing. But deep inside me, my heart was smiling. Finally, something is being done. Finally, my fears for my future kids are slowly going away. Don't get me wrong. I know that there are tons of problems going on-the world is still dirty, poverty is all around, the earth is still dying. But somehow, I sense that all our fears will not happen. People will change. The earth will be saved. Only if we continue to believe, work and fight for it. May pag-asa pa ang Pilipinas, may pag-asa pa ang mundo.






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home